Malaysiaku Sayang

I think this entry today needs no introduction! Finally its the 63rd Independence Day of Malaysia! Alhamdulillah, I was born during the peaceful years where no violent riots going on(not that I know of but no time to do any research if there were), no Japanese soldiers holding their rifles in the streets and having to sing their song, or some British soldier asking you to do the labor jobs.

I asked my grandma before, what was it like living during the colonized years? With a nonchalant tone, she said everyday there are bomb sounds everywhere, and thats where you know someone died, and other expected things. Her father built a basement in the house to hide from the Japanese soldiers. I asked her what were the Japanese like? You have to sing their song whenever you see them. Even when you're on the playground swings, it makes them smile when you sing she said. I kind of feel sad whenever i hear that, I mean if that were to happen to me, I will be in constant fear. She even remembers the lyrics!

Miratu Kaina sutuatite,

Yusu Jisu Kuakaku, Kakiyakiba

The memories must still be vivid to her mind because at 88 years old she still remembers the lyrics. I'm not sure if thats the correct spelling or words but I'm just doing the best guess hahaha.

Sometimes, I wish I could time travel to 31st August 1957, where Tunku Abdul Rahman shouted "Merdeka" seven times during the rally as a symbol Malayans are free from the British colonization. Whenever I looked at the vintage video, i get goosebumps. Out of all the moments in the world, scenes from the movies, this is by far the most iconic moments to me,  and I can't help but be proud to be Malaysian. If I were to be present at that time, I would cry in tears, jumping up and down, and maybe join any other rally or be an activist, or a media journalist. Damn I can't imagine when you read the newspapers back then, tabloids, it's all in vintage fonts saying "Finally Malaysia is free from British Colonization!"

Which is why learning history is so important. I noticed that history educators are given less recognition compared to others. But becoming a historian, and archivers for history is important for our country, we need to learn from the past in order to preserve the present. 

Growing up, I have a lot of friends who are from different ethnicity. In my school, sitting with Chinese, and Indians are pretty normal. But I noticed in some learning institutions, these practices are still peculiar. Even my best friends are non-Malays. I love our differences. I love the unity that we show. I love the cultures, the food, the open houses. I love when different races unite to serve our country for the better. I love the different ideas, the different slangs, the laughter and learning about my friend's different religions. I love them all. It is what makes us special, and unique, and blessed to be able to grow up in that kind of harmonial environment.

I love seeing on twitter how other races defended other races in certain issues, I love how all of us seeing as ONE. And definitely education starts from home/school, how we teach our kids is how they will perceive when they grow up. 

This year's celebration is a little bit different because of the whole world is facing a pandemic, and the leaders has taken unprecedented steps in order to combat the virus. So today its a little bit quiet, the swooshing sounds of jet flying above is unheard, no rally or marching. Although physically there's no gathering, but in our hearts, I believe wherever we are, we still appreciate this day. 

As a fellow Malaysian, I sincerely yearned that each and every hearts of this country boost their patriotic spirit, not just on Merdeka day, but throughout their lives. This is the country I was born and raised, and I wouldnt trade it with anything else. 

Tanah tumpahnya darahku, Malaysia yang ku sayangi dan sanjungi!







Not related but hes just cutie pie :P


Comments

Popular Posts