First Ever Book Review

 Okay Uhmmmm..how do you write a book review?? *raises eyebrows*

I bought this book randomly when i went to Popular. At first I really wanted to find some other book, but couldn't find it anywhere but at the same time I don't want to leave the bookstore empty handed. So by hook or by crook I NEED a book. So I came across this one since it's cheaper than any other books. Sigh books can be costly.

Anyways I don't regret buying this book after I start reading it! Started to love this so much and I found myself on the couch for many hours during the day having my eyes intact on the words. 

I love the cover of this book. See how it is filled with excerpts on the book? It looks like a newspaper kind of  stories compact into one cover. 

So jumping to the review, this book is more like a diary entry, where a young girl named Sarah poured out her feelings to God and included some versus in the Quran and Hadith that serves as a reminder to Muslims and even for Non Muslims, the content is still understandable. I love how the author made the character as an ordinary, struggling young Muslim studying abroad and though I can't relate because I never studied abroad before, however I studied outside KL. When I read the book, I could easily comprehend the feeling of walking to classes, being apprehensive for final exams, the idea that someone might not like me(?) but I can't be sure because I don't really have "dramatic" moments in University.

But for Sarah, she did overcome the challenges of people having huge despise of her, especially fellow Malaysians students there who spoke nastily of her and spread rumors around about her. 

What I like about this book is that is does serve as a constant reminder to me as a Muslim. We have our moment when we question our faith, like am I being a good Muslim? God must hate me because I normalize a lot of sins in my life.  

I do feel insecure when I read this book because one, Sarah is a prude and she knows how to handle herself, walking away from things that frustrates her and also something that can be committed to sins, and always turn to Allah. Me on the other hand, if anything frustrates me I do throw a tantrum, showed my anger thinking thats a good trait because I really love when someone, especially women standing up for themselves. But in some situation, Sarah did prove to me that silence would suffice as we tend to say more hurtful things and end up regretting later. 

But one thing I disagree though, that Sarah refused to go mingle with the Malaysians students there. Sure I get it, they gave nasty looks to her and of course they heard rumors about her from Linda (the girl who despised Sara). Regardless, I'm sure Sarah could try harder(?) I mean its her choice anyway but it does makes me as a reader think she is better than those Malaysian students. Therefore in a way, she does pass judgement before getting to know them better. Because chances are she could try to mingle with them first and she did judge them about talking about shopping, boys. That's pretty normal to me. Oh well she's a prude so I guess shes not that interested in new hijab trends or who's the cutest boy is he married had a girlfriend etc.That is a pure and raw comprehension of human nature. However, of course as a human being, we strive ourselves to be better everyday. 

Another thing that I am less happy about this book that it doesn't give a concrete ending. Like Sarah has no love interests, since there's a guy proposed to her and she didn't accept because she wants to follow her dreams first. And also there's another guy that Sarah might like. The ending is just hanging right there. Did Sarah end up with anyone? How was the graduation? I wished the author could at least provide an ending. It's so monotonous, no climax or anything. But then again, it IS a story about an ordinary girl. Just I was looking forward to see who she might end up with.

P/S: there is a sequel to this book though. Its called Dear God  by the same author. 

Oh well that's about it, on a positive note, there's a lot of good traits I could perceive from the character. I realized that I need to pray and rant to God more rather than humans because He will help you through it. He created you and He will not burden you more than you can bare. I believe by praying more and talking to God more, not only you will find peace and solace, but God will always blessed you in ways you could have noticed or otherwise. As a Muslim myself, I have sooooo much to improve on, and Im going to start by making more dua's so Allah will help me, guide me in the path He desires and I pray He will keep me safe from anything could harm me and my loved ones and anything that could lead us astray. 

AMEEN. 

Love, Sasha

Comments

Popular Posts